Wednesday after class we went to the Tower of London. I had been looking forward to visiting the
Tower for a long time. Last summer I
read the White Queen about the two lost Princes whose bones were eventually
found in the Tower. So I was
pumped. Also, we’ve learned a lot about
the Kings and Queens who have lived there.
Fun fact… it used to be a zoo! One of royals wanted animals around the
kingdom. There were elephants, lions,
tigers and monkeys. There was even a
polar bear in the Thames! Guests would have to bring a dog or cat (to feed to
the lions) for entrance fees.
Abby and I
buggy
entrance to the crowned jewels
the white tower
tower bridge
outside of the tower
We started out our day in the outskirts of the tower, just
walking through old chambers and exhibits.
Then we waited in a long line for the CROWNED JEWELS. The line was totally worth and we didn't even care. You should have seen Kelsey and I.... we were literally having breathing attacks we were so pumped haha. So we got through the line, and it was well worth it. We were just in awe. Oh the queen is so fabulous, we watched a video of her coronation while we were waiting in line. The most prominent "jewel" was the Imperial State Crown is a 7 carat diamond. OH MY WORD. We couldn't take any pictures of it, but here's one from the website.
It has almost 3,000 diamonds. 3,000. Just let that sink in. The pearls dangling in the middle were said to have been Queen Elizabeth the I's earrings. It's used at the coronation for any new ruler. So Prince Charles will be wearing it soon...maybe...long live the Queen! And heaven hope Charles abdicates and William just becomes King...don't worry we discuss this a LOT. But regardless, we just really want to see a coronation!
After that we headed into the torture chambers. CREEPY. And the fact that they just tortured everyone and were beheading people left and right...? Like what if they did that now a days. Not ok. One of the machines pulled their limbs apart...sick.
"The Rack"
our pretty panorama in a tower. if you want a real treat, zoom in on my face.... I fidgeted during the picture (obviously) so it turned out a bit funky
Basically we just wandered. Abby and I wandered off to get ice cream at some point (what else is new) and we stopped in every gift shop. I loved learning more about the tower though. It is just SO COOL. And old. Everything here is so old. But also a tad creepy. And that's that.
Afterwards Kelsey and I got fish and chips, because we just have to get it when in London right...? Wasn't a huge fan. But yay! I did it.
P.S.. we are all in such distress that the Royal Baby will be born while we are on our long trip South. But I'm praying it's born on my Birthday (Monday everyone).







0 comments:
Post a Comment