I created this blog to keep as a journal while I'm in London. I don't want to forget anything and writing in journals isn't exactly a strong point of mine. All of those lessons and talks on the importance of journal writing were completely lost on me... Also I made this mainly so my parents, siblings and friends could keep up on my adventures since communication will be a little slow.
Studying abroad in London has been my plan since about...7th grade. A little ridiculous, no? If you know me, then you know I'm a huge planner, almost to a fault. My brother Steven studied abroad in London in the Spring of 2006 and that's when I decided I wanted to go.
(visiting the BYU London Centre after my senior year)
So the application period rolled around, and I was pumped. I wrote an amazing essay, had everyone and their mother proof read it, and submitted my application the day it opened. I got an interview with the program directors (the ones who went with my brother) and rocked it. But then, I didn't get in. I was floored. It was a plan that had been in the making for SIX years, and it was all ruined. So I whined a little bit and had a pity party for myself. But then I just felt like I should apply for summer. I just copied my exact same essay, payed my application fee and forgot about it.
I was contacted for an interview in January, and I loved the directors. They were two of the sweetest ladies ever, and I loved chatting with them. Then some day in February as I was walking from class to class, I got the email saying I got in! I freaked out and called my Mom right away (obviously) and texted all of my siblings. I was in a really important midterm review, and I didn't pay a speck of attention haha. But how could I??
The more I think about it, the more I realize that I was probably supposed to go during summer term for a reason. Staying in Provo during Spring has been so great, and I'm so happy that I have had these past few weeks to spend with my best friends. We are all headed different directions and may not live with each other again, which breaks my heart. But I'm SO happy I'm not missing out on this time with them. And I have the best roommates lined up for London, and I know we are going to become the best of friends.
So that is the wonderful story of how I decided to go to London.
And maybe I got a little teary eyed watching this video? See you tomorrow London Town.. :)
You've Got to Love London from Alex Silver on Vimeo.



0 comments:
Post a Comment