Tuesday, June 25, 2013

getting there pt. 2 and Day 1&2

I'm here and alive! My luggage, however is not, but can't have everything perfect right? And I got to go shopping on my first day, so I'm all good. But LONDON.  It is so beautiful.  Everything is just old and dainty, and then there's new modern buildings so it's a nice little mix between everything.  

I arrived into Paddington station on the Heathrow express and tried to take a tube but they didn't take cash or foreign credit cards so I didn't want to figure that out so I just took a cab.  The nice little driver felt bad I didn't have my luggage and offered me some of his "jumpers." So then he dropped me where I asked buttt I still couldn't find my directors flat.  I literally walked into some random building and knocked on a door and heard a mans voice and got scared and ran away haha. But I finally found it and they gave me my keys and sent me on my way.  I got off the tube (which I am BOMB at navigating by the way, thanks to my good direction genes from Dad) and walked what seemed like forever to my flat.  But I found it! And at this point I was real glad I didn't have my luggage because it would've been a struggle wandering the streets



I love all the little sherlock things in the Tube stations!

After getting to my flat, I changed into my roommates clothes (bless her) and we headed out.  We went to Regent's park and did a walk for our London Walks class. Oh and some little British Lady asked me for directions and I gave them to her perfectly.  BOOM.  I got this city down.  Anyways Regents park is so beautiful.  It's probably the size of all of Provo but it's just open fields and little lakes and walk ways and gardens.  I love it.  We got milkshakes and took a little detour to walk by all the soccer games going on in the park.  It was awesome because there would just be random, giant mansions scattered around the park.  Oh and there was a college in the middle of the park? I'm transferring...



Then we were done with walking so we got on the tube and went to Oxford Street where all the shopping is.  We ate at this little place where the guys working asked if we were from Spain because we had Mexican accents? Like what? But they obviously loved us because they gave us free cookies...


Then we SHOPPED.  Because I had to right...? And we went to Primark.  I got a jacket, jeans, two shirts, 5 pairs of socks, 5 pairs of underwear and pajamas for 46 pounds!! What a steal right? And they were necessities obviously...

At this point it was like 10 and we were beat after being up for almost 30 hours. So we wandered back and slept.

Today we woke up and went to meet our group near the Tower of London.  We started another walk and we went all over.  We walked around the "ancient wall" of London that was built forever ago by the Romans.  Only little pieces remain but we walked the length of what it used to be...and it felt like 10 miles.  Probably not but my feet are KILLING me.  My nice roommate let me use her TOMS because my boots I had on the plane were not cutting it. Anyways the walk was awesome and we saw a bunch of old churches and little markets.  

My only picture from the walk... I'm the worst andddd my finger is in it.  

After the walk we went to Covenant Gardens because my roommate needed to go to the Apple Store. And Covent Gardens is UNREAL.  So many amazing stores.  And their building a Shake Shack there! That's where the Royal Opera House is as well.  We ate some lunch, mooched off the Apple store wifi and got Laduree!!! Laduree is my favorite dessert ever ever ever.  They're delicious macaroons.  I got a pistachio, salted carmel, vanilla and chocolate coconut marshmallow.  I took more pictures at Laduree than anywhere else... obviously I have my priorities straight.





Afterwards we went to find out where our classrooms are and where my bags will (hopefully) be delivered tonight.  We also signed up for an afternoon tea boat ride on Saturday! What! So excited. Then we had an orientation at our flats and now we are just relaxing a bit, doing homework (um these classes were supposed to be easy...?) and planning our night.  We are going to go to the London Eye! EEE.  I love London. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment