I'm just going to apologize in advance for the many Mary Kate and Ashley references that will occur while on this trip. Like this title.... and how I'll probably hashtag winning london and passport to paris in every picture.
But wow. I don't really know what time it is? It's fine really. I'm currently sitting in the Frankfurt airport in some fancy little lounge (holla for Dad having United status) and feeling so lucky becauseeeee I was thee last person to board a giant 747 double decker plane and if I had shown up two seconds later, I probably would've missed it.
So my original flight plans were so easy. Fly from Sacramento to Chicago then Chicago to London and then meet up with my roommate in London. Easy right? Wrong. Because of "weather" (um it was 65 and cloudy...?) my flight to Chicago was delayed THREE hours, which would mean I'd miss my flight to London. So my Dad (bless him) was on the phone with United trying to get it figured out. He called and said I could either get to London at 10pm on Monday night or on Tuesday afternoon. Poor Dad...I had a nervous breakdown. I was sobbing on the phone because I didn't want to get from the airport to my apartment late at night on the sketchy tube all by myself but I didn't want to get there a day later than everyone! But then he worked his Scott Harrison magic and said I would fly from Sacramento to Denver then Denver to Germany then Germany to London. Oh and they were upgrading me to business class....it's fine.
BUT THEN...United double booked like half the seats on my flight to Denver so we left 20 minutes late. Now I already had a 40 minute connection time in Denver which was going to be tricky because I flew into Denver on United but I was flying to Germany on Lufthansa. So I would have to switch terminals. Then there was a thunderstorm on our route into Denver so we had to circle for an extra 30 minutes. I landed in Denver at the time my flight to Germany was supposed to leave. They came on the loud speaker when we landed and said that the plane to Germany had left, but I checked on my flight app and it said I had ten minutes. As I was rolling into the gate at Denver I was on the phone crying to my Dad (notice a theme here?) because I was sure I wasn't going to make it and I'd be stuck in Denver all night (or forever, it was kind of a dramatic moment).
So I had this little inkling of hope that I could make it. I SPRINTED. Like really I don't think I've ever moved so fast in my entire life. I ran through the B terminal (of course we were the farthest gate), down two flights of stairs, and then had to get on a blasted tram to the A terminal. Then I took two flights of stairs up to the gates and ran my little heart out. I looked so pathetic really. My huge backpack, glasses on, tears on my face and I was panting like a dog. I saw the plane through the window had it hadn't moved! I made it from one terminal to another in 4 minutes flat. I gave them my passport and ticket and called my Dad in the process. Once again I was crying (maybe I shouldn't admit this so much) because I was so relieved!!! I ran down that jet way like a crazy dazed person. Like really I was hyperventilating. The plane pulled back 45 seconds after I sat down. So I don't think my bags made it, but I guess I'll just have to shop a little in London tonight! Which is not a problem for me at all... :)
But really, a huge shout out to my Dad because I couldn't of done this without him and I don't think they would've held the plane for some little lowly passenger. But as everyone in my family can attest to, magical things happen when you travel with Scott Harrison or under his name.
Oh and my flight was perfect. I slept for five hours. Boom jet lag is conquered. And I watched How I Met Your Mother and they gave me Hagen Daz. So obviously I was in my happy place. And now I'm here in Frankfurt! Kind of confused and disoriented...but SO EXCITED to be in London.
And I highly doubt anyone has made it this far. But this is just for my own memory so I'll never forget my dramatic process of getting to London!



0 comments:
Post a Comment